"In Nooks with books" An Auto-Lithograph by R. Anning Bell. Original 1895 print
A wonderful auto-lithograph print of a sketch in green of a lady reading books by R. Anning Bell. This is an original print from 1895 taken from ‘The Studio” complete with protective paper.
This print has been carefully taken from the Original 1895 edition of ‘The Studio’ Volume fourteen, One of the most iconic collections of artworks. Finely printed on a high-quality paper. The Studio books were an outward expression of the developments in the Arts and Crafts movement.
Size: 28cm Height x 20cm Wide
The Studio books were an illustrated collection of Fine and Applied Arts published in London from 1893 until 1964. The founder and first editor was Charles Holme. The magazine exerted a major influence on the development of the Art Nouveau and Arts and Crafts movements.
The artwork from the "Studio" has been selected by scholars as being culturally important and is part of the knowledge base of civilization as we know it. This print which we offer for sale is an original printed in 1898. Therefore, you will see the original copyright references, library stamps and other notations in this print.
About the Artist: Robert Anning Bell was born in London on 14 April 1862. In 1911 Bell was appointed chief of the design section at the Glasgow School of Art, and from 1918 to 1924 he was professor of design at the Royal College of Art. He continued to paint and exhibited at the Royal Academy, the New English Art Club and the Royal Society of Painters in Water Colours, as well as at the Society of Graphic Art's first exhibition in 1921. He designed the great mosaic in the tympanum at Westminster Cathedral from sketches left by the architect John Francis Bentley; the work was completed in 1916. Bell worked from 1922 on mosaics for the Palace of Westminster. Depictions of Saint Patrick of Ireland and Saint Andrew of Scotland were erected in the Central Lobby; in Saint Stephen's Hall, one panel was erected depicting Saint Stephen, King Stephen and Edward the Confessor and another showing Edward III presenting the design for St Stephen's Chapel to his Master Mason, Michael of Canterbury. The last of these mosaics was unveiled in 1926.